Tyne and Wear HER(12104): North Shields, Grieve's Stairs - Details
North Shields, Grieve's Stairs
Shown on Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1898. Connected Bedford Street to Lower Bedford Street. Named after Grieve's Ironmongery (HER 7855). During the 1800s the town began to sprawl up the bankstowards the higher ground in an attempt to escape the overcrowded riverside. Roads could not be built up the steep gradient and so a series of stairs connected the riverside with the high town. Dwellings, public houses, shops and workshops clustered around these stairs which Hutchinson (1776) described as busy, narrow, dirty alleys.
Tyne and Wear Museums, 2006, Land Adjacent to Borough Road, North Shields - Archaeological and Cultural Heritage Assessment; FISHcast, sub-group of FISH (Folk Interested in Shields Harbour), 2007, North Shields - The New Quay and The Fish Quay Conservation Areas - FISHcast Community Character Statement