Tyne and Wear HER(12122): Wallsend, North View, roller skating rink - Details
Wallsend, North View, roller skating rink
Built between 1897 and 1916. This replaced the White House (HER 8658). The vast covered roller skating rink was used for aeroplane construction during the First World War, a boxing hall between 1919 and 1920, the Daimler Co. Ltd in 1922 with an adjoining car showroom to the west, then a Ministry of Works depot (named Training Centre, Ministry of Labour on OS fourth edition of 1937. It was then a giant paper store for government records. In the 1950s an unemployment benefit office was built next door. Both buildings have now gone.
North Tyneside Council, 2006, The Green Conservation Area Character Appraisal, Draft August 2006; Wallsend Tithe Map 1840