Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Monkseaton, Front Street, Methodist Church

Tyne and Wear HER(12139): Monkseaton, Front Street, Methodist Church - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

Monkseaton, Front Street, Methodist Church



Religious Ritual and Funerary

Nonconformist Chapel

Methodist Chapel

Early Modern


Extant Building

This was once Village Farm's (HER 12132) turnip house. It was converted into an Anglian Chapel in 1899. The Wesleyans used it from 1913 {1}. The building was purchased in 1899 by a Colonel T.W. Elliott who converted it into a Anglican church. The Wesleyans moved here from Chapel Lane (HER 5870) in 1913. The two cannons which stood outside were from Scarborough Castle. In 1942 they were removed to be melted down for materials during the Second World War. For many years the chapel was known as 'The Gun Chapel'.




North Tyneside Council Development Directorate, August 2006, Monkseaton Conservation Area Character Appraisal Draft; Charles W. Steel, 2000, Images of England - Monkseaton and Hillheads; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle & North Tyneside

Back to Search Results