Tyne and Wear HER(12145): Cullercoats Conservation Area - Details
Cullercoats Conservation Area
Designated in March 2008. The boundary is based on the old village, Victorian and Edwardian growth and the bay. The cliffs and beaches of the Conservation Area have been designated as an an Area of Coastal Protection. Much of the coast is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). Cullercoats was first mentioned in surveys of the 17th century under a number of names including 'Culvercoats', 'Culler Corners' and 'Collar Coates'. In 1677 a wooden pier was built at Cullercoats for exporting coal from Whitley Colliery. Soon after, two salt pans were established in the bay. Cullercoats was created as a distinct township in 1690. The Whitley and Cullercoats collieries closed in 1724 and the salt pans moved to Blyth. Cullercoats' population turned to fishing. A reprise in coal mining saw the building of the stone piers (HER 5056) in 1848. They still stand today. Around the 1820s Cullercoats began to establish itself as an artist's colony. Newcastle artist John Wilson Carmichael painted many pictures of the area. Throughout the 19th century several artists came to Cullercoats to paint the coastline, splendid buildings and the fishermen and fishwives. These included William Henry Charlton, John Falconar Slater, Robert Jobling and the world-renowned Winslow Homer, who came from North America to Cullercoats in 1881. By 1858 Cullercoats village had a school, Primitive Methodist chapel, several public houses (two Ship Inns, the Queen's Head and Newcastle Arms), saltwater baths and a lifeboat house. The village expanded rapidly by 1897. Simpson Street had been built in the style of fishermen's cottages. Beverley Terrace was more impressive. Cullercoats Station (HER 2154) was built in 1882, which saw the area grow as a tourist resort. The Rocket House (HER 5059) was built in 1867 and the watch house (HER 2215) in 1879. St. George's Church (HER 7096) was built between 1882 and 1884 for the sixth Duke of Northumberland as a memorial to his father. By 1893 Tynemouth Park (HER 9487) had opened. The Plaza Ballroom (the aquarium) had been built in 1878. By 1916 more terraces had been built north of the village such as Windsor Crescent and Promontory Terrace. To the south is Beverley Gardens with large semi-detached houses. The Dove Marine Laboratory (HER 5058) opened on the site of an earlier one in 1908. The new Marconi Wireless Radio Telegraphy Station (HER 5519) was built on Brown's Point in 1906. By 1938 Norma Crescent had been built, along with a new Fishermen's Mission and a methodist church on the corner of Eskdate Terrace. The Art Deco Park Hotel was added in 1939.
North Tyneside Council, Cullercoats Conservation Area Boundary Plan; North Tyneside Council, Draft April 2009, Cullercoats Conservation Area Character Appraisal