Tyne and Wear HER(12147): Longbenton, Front Street, RC Church of St. Aidan - Details
Longbenton, Front Street, RC Church of St. Aidan
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Roman Catholic Church
The original church (NZ 2738 6846) was built by 1916 to the immediate west of the present one. The extant church was built in 1963 as a parish hall intended to serve a future church. Those hopes were unfulfilled and the ‘hall’ became the church. The sanctuary was redesigned by David Brown in 1978 and reordered in 1990 by Les Stringer (parish files) for the church’s consecration on 13 December 1990.
North Tyneside Council, 2007, Longbenton and Benton Conservation Areas Character Appraisal; http://taking-stock.org.uk/Home/Dioceses/Diocese-of-Hexham-Newcastle/Benton-St-Aidan [accessed 7th March 2016]