Tyne and Wear HER(12175): Longbenton, Church of St. Bartholomew, churchyard - Details
Longbenton, Church of St. Bartholomew, churchyard
Religious Ritual and Funerary
There has been a church on this church since the 9th century (HER 785) although the present church (HER 7272) dates from 1790. It can be assumed that there has been some form of churchyard on this site since an early date. The churchyard includes mature tree coverage of several different species and winding walkways of late C19 layout. The churchyard is surrounded by a simple stone wall. Inside the gravestones date back several hundred years. Some of the graves are surrounded by attractive ironwork. There is an elegant First World War memorial (HER 9470).
Ordnance Survey Third Edition 1916; North Tyneside Council, 2007, Longbenton and Benton Conservation Areas Character Appraisal; Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, pages 143-4