Tyne and Wear HER(12209): Washington, Church of St. Mary the Virgin, effigy of priest - Details
Washington, Church of St. Mary the Virgin, effigy of priest
Surtees refers to two medieval monuments which had once lain in the churchyard but had 'long since perished'. The second was an effigy of a clergyman or priest inscribed 'Hic jacet Alexander de Biddicke'. In 1962 when some outbuildings of the rectory were being demolished, a low-relief effigy of an ecclesiastic, probably a deacon, was discovered. This is probably the Alexander de Biddicke stone. It has been trimmed and has lost its inscription. The slab is now set against the internal face of the south wall of the chancel.
Peter F. Ryder, 1985, The Medieval Cross Slab Grave Cover in County Durham, Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland Research Report No. 1, p 118; H.C. Surtees, 1820, History of Durham, Vol. II, p.43 (reprinted 1972)