Tyne and Wear HER(12211): Whitburn Parish Church, effigy - Details
Whitburn Parish Church, effigy
A recumbent effigy by William Smith of Michael Matthew of Cleadon who died in 1689. There is a skull placed between the feet and contemporary-costumed weepers.
Peter F. Ryder, 1985, The Medieval Cross Slab Grave Cover in County Durham, Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland Research Report No. 1, p 118; N. Pevsner revised by E. Williamson, 1996, The Buildings of England: County Durham, p. 503; H.C. Surtees, 1840, History of Durham, Vol. 4, p.51 (reprinted 1972); Tyne and Wear Museums, Draft South Tyneside Coastal Survey: Its Archaeological & Historical Record, p 54; J. Hutchinson, not dated, The Story of the Parish Church, Whitburn