Tyne and Wear HER(12291): Newburn, Black Stones Fishery - Details
Newburn, Black Stones Fishery
Agriculture and Subsistence
A fishery is recorded at Newburn from 1500 to c.1700. It extended from the west boundary of the manor of Newburn to the east boundary adjoining Sugley grounds at Lemington. The rent of the Newburn and part of Crumbwells fisheries in 1851 was £100.
V.E. Watts, 1988, Some Northumbrian Fishery Names III in Durham Archaeological Journal, 4, 1988, pp 53-59; M.H. Dodds, 1930, A History of Northumberland, Vol. XIII, pp. 146-52