Tyne and Wear HER(12294): Newburn, Croc Fishery - Details
Newburn, Croc Fishery
Agriculture and Subsistence
Croc c.1230, (le) Croke c.1240 and 1368 and frequently until 1512, Cruke in 1458, 1461 and frequently until 1529, Crowke in 1511, Crook in 1851. 'Croc' is Old English for land in a bend in a river. This was part of the Newburn fishery given by Roger Bertram to William Bruton and eventually to Finchale Abbey in whose account rolls it features until 1529. In 1851 the fishery is described as commencing at Lemington Haugh shore opposite the north end of Mitchell's Lamp Black Works and extending around 240 yards towards Lemington. The rent was £16. A 'Crok', Crock or Cruck fishery was granted to Tynemouth Prioery by earl Henry around 1147.
V.E. Watts, 1988, Some Northumbrian Fishery Names III in Durham Archaeological Journal, 4, 1988, pp 53-59; M.H. Dodds, 1930, A History of Northumberland, Vol. XIII, p. 153; Surtees Society 6, 1837