Tyne and Wear HER(12301): Denton, Black and Bright fishery - Details
Denton, Black and Bright fishery
Agriculture and Subsistence
A fishery belonging to Tynemouth Priory mentioned 1538-9 and 1565. By 1851 it was divided into two, the Black and Bright fishery, East Denton and Gowdy fishery, West Denton. Annual rent of the former was £12, annual rent of the latter £7 10s. There was another weir (gurges) at Denton which was subject to a dispute between John de Ridel of Denton and Robert Neville of Winlaton in the Assize Roll of 1256.
V.E. Watts, 1988, Some Northumbrian Fishery Names III in Durham Archaeological Journal, 4, 1988, pp 53-59; M.H. Dodds, 1930, A History of Northumberland, Vol. XIII, pp. 153-6; Surtees Society 88, 1891, Three Early Assize Rolls, pp 14-15