Tyne and Wear HER(12302): Byker, Dent's Hole fishery - Details
Byker, Dent's Hole fishery
Agriculture and Subsistence
Dent's Hole was a deep pool in the Tyne west of St. Peter's Quay. It was named after the Bent family in the C17. The salmon fishery was still working, though depleted in 1885. 'Hol' is Old English for 'a deep place in a stream'.
V.E. Watts, 1988, Some Northumbrian Fishery Names III in Durham Archaeological Journal, 4, 1988, pp 53-59; M.H. Dodds, 1930, A History of Northumberland, Vol. XIII, pp. 274-7; R.J. Charleton, 1885, Newcastle Town, p 342