Tyne and Wear HER(12306): Denton, Gowdy fishery - Details
Denton, Gowdy fishery
Agriculture and Subsistence
A fishery belonging to Tynemouth Priory mentioned 1538-9 and 1565. By 1851 it was divided into two, the Black and Bright fishery, East Denton and Gowdy fishery, West Denton. Annual rent of the former was £12, annual rent of the latter £7 10s. Gowdy is a Northumbrian dialect form of goldy meaning golden. It also means 'a toy or plaything' or 'frolicsome, festive, wanton'.
V.E. Watts, 1988, Some Northumbrian Fishery Names III in Durham Archaeological Journal, 4, 1988, pp 53-59;