Fast Search

You are Here: Home / North Shields, Low Lights Fishery

Tyne and Wear HER(12310): North Shields, Low Lights Fishery - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

North Shields, Low Lights Fishery

North Shields


Agriculture and Subsistence

Fish Trap

Fish Weir

Post Medieval


Documentary Evidence

Named after the lighthouse built in 1536-40. On the north side of the Narrows at North Shields. Referred to as Robert Ramsey's fishery in 1637. The fishery extended from the Black Middens (NZ 371 687) three miles to Howdon Head (NZ 333 660). It existed at least as early as 1443 when the Prior of Tynemouth possessed three long weirs or salmon yares across the river towards Jarrow which impeded ships sailing upstream to Newcastle. In the 18th century it used sweep nets and stake nets which were hauled ashore at the Black Middens, Mussel Scarp (NZ 365 685), Coble Dean, White Hill Point (NZ 349 661) and Howdon (NZ 333 661). Its rent (with Cullercoats) was £2 in 1851. In 1775 265 salmon were caught in one draught {Brand, History and Antiquities of Newcastle, Vol 2, p 33}.




V.E. Watts, 1988, Some Northumbrian Fishery Names III in Durham Archaeological Journal, 4, 1988, pp 53-59; Craster, A History of Northumberland, Vol. 8, p. 289, 294, 298,

Back to Search Results