Tyne and Wear HER(12311): Newburn, Stanners Fishery - Details
Newburn, Stanners Fishery
Agriculture and Subsistence
In the 17th century the fishery was held by the tenants of husbandlands in Newburn, Walbottle and Butterlaw. It extended between Spetchells and Stanners Farm. It included at least five fisheries. The rent (including part of Crumbwells) in 1851 was £100. The River Tyne was straightened in 1871-1883.
V.E. Watts, 1988, Some Northumbrian Fishery Names III in Durham Archaeological Journal, 4, 1988, pp 53-59; M.H. Dodds, 1930, A History of Northumberland, Vol. XIII, pp. 146-7 and 152