Fast Search

You are Here: Home / North Shields, Cleveland Road

Tyne and Wear HER(12328): North Shields, Cleveland Road - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

North Shields, Cleveland Road

North Shields



Multiple Dwelling


Early Modern


Extant Building

Cleveland Road was built as a new through road from Preston Road by 1899. North of the road were large villas Campville, Cleveland House and Cleveland Villa. Housing south of Cleveland Road, terraces with a strong townscape edge, was completed by the end of the Edwardian period (1910). Some of the large houses have been converted into flats. The villas and large gardens to the north of the road were cleared (although some boundary walls and trees survive). The land was developed with Cleveland Crescent, Cleveland Terrace and Cleveland Avenue - semis with side access and deeper gardens and short terraces (without back lanes but with front, side and back gardens) built over the next 20 years. An adult training centre was built on the site on Cleveland Villa. Nos. 1-9 are raised on half-sunken basements, requiring grand steps to the front door. Nos. 35 and 73 are corner buildings with quoins. Nos. 24, 26 and 40 have timber porches. Nos. 24-26 have bay windows with two-storey angled timber bays beneath half timbered gables and dramatic full-height octagonal corner tower bays (porch at ground floor) with heavy cupola roofs. The eaves at the west end of Cleveland Road have a deep overhang supported on tightly spaced concave timber brackets. Later ones are infilled between with stucco to create a swept half-timbered motif. There is a subtle difference between the roofs to Nos. 42-44 and 46-48. Nos. 46-48 is slightly newer. The roofs of nos. 24-26 have bracketed eaves, swept turrets, shaped bargeboards, moulded finials and decorative ridges. Houses at the west end were designed with a small dormer window to the front with a pitched roof and glazed cheeks. Nos. 24-26 have large square rainwater hoppers with square-section downcomers as part of their elaborate detailing. An original glazed brick street nameplate survives. Low boundary walls in white salt-glazed brick with stone plinths survive at the west end. Nos. 42-48 have red brick piers and terracotta ball finials. Nos. 24-26 boundary walls have deep brick swags




North Tyneside Council, Development Directorate, September 2006, Camp Terrace Conservation Area Character Appraisal

Back to Search Results