Tyne and Wear HER(1233): Jarrow, Church Bank, medieval village - Details
Jarrow, Church Bank, medieval village
Excavations in 1989-90 north of Jarrow Hall revealed a series of ditches and gullies associated with a metalled road with several buildings to either side and a short length of a hollow way, with cart ruts on its surface. Large amounts of 12th-15th century pottery, a bronze brooch and an openwork mount were also recovered. Also found were 15th century ridge and furrow, and a big ditch, perhaps the monastic enclosure ditch, which contained pottery of the 12th century-14th century. These discoveries were interpreted as part of a village lying close to the medieval priory.
<< HER 1233 >> S. Speak, 1990, Medieval Settlement Research Group, Annual Report, 5, p. 35 P.T. Bidwell & S. Speak, 1989, Church Bank, Jarrow