Tyne and Wear HER(12347): Cullercoats, Beverley Terrace - Details
Cullercoats, Beverley Terrace
Includes the one storey double fronted Beacon House (No. 42) with a navigation beacon. Monk's Haven has an elaborate stone porch with Roman composite pilasters. These grand properties have doorways in a stone surround. Monk's Haven has interesting double-height castellated bay windows. Some properties use decorative ironwork on or above bay windows but much detail has been lost. Monk's Haven retains its rainwater goods - large decorative hoppers and square brackets with fleur-de-lys motifs. There are former service buildings at the rear of Beverley Terrace with good functional architecture. There are gardens opposite the terrace. The central part of the gardens was a lawn tennis ground in 1898. By 1916 the space had been landscaped and plated and it has remained the same since. It forms part of a wildlife corridor. The gardens are sunken and are similar to Panama Gardens at Whitley Bay.
North Tyneside Council, 2009, Cullercoats Conservation Area Draft Character Appraisal