Tyne and Wear HER(12364): Gibside Estate, Warren's Haugh, drive - Details
Gibside Estate, Warren's Haugh, drive
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
The former carriage drive is shown on the 1856 Ordnance Survey plan leaving the estate approach road north of the bridge before curving across the haugh to its northern end, where there are now stone gate pillars. It was created by John Bowes in 1855. The southern end of the route was later re-aligened to the south-west. In 2012 an evaluation by On-Site Archaeology found evidence of the mid 19th century carriageway. It had previously been identified as upstanding earthworks and through historic map evidence. Two drainage ditches associated with the carriageway were also noted. The carriageway had been cut into natural geology.
Harry Beamish, Autumn 1993, Summary Table - Gibside; On-Site Archaeology, 2012, Gibside, Burnopfield - Archaeological Evaluation; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2011, New car parking Warren Haugh and West Wood, Gibside - Archaeological Assessment