Tyne and Wear HER(12399): Gibside, River Derwent, riverside walls - Details
Gibside, River Derwent, riverside walls
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Regulation Installation
Part of the retaining walls along the Gibside Estate bank of the River Derwent which were begun in 1733 and known in estate records as 'keys'. The 'key' wall which survives is formed of sandstone ashlar to the river side. The ashlar work is continued just into the mouth of the Leap Mill Burn, where it changes to sandstone rubble.
Harry Beamish, Autumn 1993, Summary Table - Gibside; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2011, New car parking Warren Haugh and West Wood, Gibside - Archaeological Assessment