Tyne and Wear HER(12404): Gibside, saw mill - Details
Gibside, saw mill
Site of saw mill. Where logs are converted into timber. OS mapping shows that the building was in existence in 1895, was extended before 1914 and was demolished by 1939. Some structural remains survived at ground level in 2009 and were recorded by NCAS ahead of proposals to construct a new building on the site which would straddle the surviving remains. The range was divided into two equally sized bays. The southern bay was floored with concrete and incorporated a raised cast concrete mounting with a wheel pit on the west side. The northern bay was seperated from the other by a shallow step down and a gully floored with firebrick quarls.
Harry Beamish, Autumn 1993, Summary Table - Gibside; Northern C; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2009, The Saw-Mill, Gibside - Archaeological Recording