Tyne and Wear HER(12414): Killingworth, Church of St. John the Evangelist, churchyard - Details
Killingworth, Church of St. John the Evangelist, churchyard
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Graveyard of the church built in 1869. Surrounded by a stone wall with railings (HER 7261) which are listed grade 2. Inside the churchyard there are various mature trees. It is designated as a Site of Nature Conservation Importance. The northern part of the churchyard is dark, enclosed and atmospheric, the southern part is light and open, due to tree cover.
North Tyneside Council, 2008, Killingworth Village Conservation Area Character Appraisal; W.G. Elliott and Edwin Smith, 1999, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor and Killingworth; W.G. Elliott, 2000, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor, Killingworth, Palmersville and Benton Square; W.G. Elliott, 2002, The Parish and Church of St. Bartholomew, Long Benton - A Social History