Tyne and Wear HER(12457): Whitburn Bents, South Bents Farm - Details
Whitburn Bents, South Bents Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
South Bents Farm was estabished during the 18th century. In the 1960s agricultural uses decreased. The barns and farm buildings were demolished to make way for modern infill developments. Only the farmhouse (HER 4727) which is listed now survives. Single storey brown brick bungalows with concrete pantiled roofs now lie to either side of the farmhouse which have little regard for its traditional rustic character. The original farm boundary walls, in local limestone, do survive.
Sunderland City Council, 2007, Whitburn Bents Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy; T. Corfe, 1973, A History of Sunderland; T. Corfe, 1983, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914; G.E. Miller and S.T. Milburn, 1988, Sunderland, River, Town & People; P. O'Brien and P. Gibson, 1997, The Archive Photographs Series: Seaburn and Roker; N. Pevsner, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson); S. Reeder, 1992, Whitburn and Roker in old picture postcards