Tyne and Wear HER(12458): Whitburn Bents, gas works - Details
Whitburn Bents, gas works
Coal Gas Structure
In the mid 19th century a gas works was built by Sir Hedworth Williamson, landowner at Whitburn, Roker and Monkwearmouth. The gas works provided gas lighting for his family house Whitburn Hall (HER 8470). In 1864 Whitburn Hall became the first house in the area to have gas lighting. The gas works were demolished around 1940.
Sunderland City Council, 2007, Whitburn Bents Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy; T. Corfe, 1973, A History of Sunderland; T. Corfe, 1983, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914; G.E. Miller and S.T. Milburn, 1988, Sunderland, River, Town & People; P. O'Brien and P. Gibson, 1997, The Archive Photographs Series: Seaburn and Roker; N. Pevsner, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson); S. Reeder, 1992, Whitburn and Roker in old picture postcards