Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Whitburn Bents, fishermen's cottages

Tyne and Wear HER(12459): Whitburn Bents, fishermen's cottages - Details

Back to Search Results



Whitburn Bents, fishermen's cottages




Maritime House

Fishermans House

Early Modern


Demolished Building

This row of fishermen's cottages was built in the 19th century to create the Bents hamlet. In 1828 there were ten fishing boats at The Bents in the small bay. The houses were single storey white washed cottages. By 1896 another row had been added with two groups of grander cottages at either end, perpendicular to the main rows. In the 1920s 'the smallest shop in Sunderland' was built next to the end cottage at the south, which became a tea-shop. Demolished in 1938 by Sir Hedworth Williamson. A




Sunderland City Council, 2007, Whitburn Bents Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy; T. Corfe, 1973, A History of Sunderland; T. Corfe, 1983, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914; G.E. Miller and S.T. Milburn, 1988, Sunderland, River, Town & People; P. O'Brien and P. Gibson, 1997, The Archive Photographs Series: Seaburn and Roker; N. Pevsner, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson); S. Reeder, 1992, Whitburn and Roker in old picture postcards

Back to Search Results