Tyne and Wear HER(12461): Whitburn Bents, The Bents - Details
Whitburn Bents, The Bents
Built in 1938 by Sir Hedworth Williamson to replace the 19th century fisherman's cottages (HER 12459). The new cottages were badly damaged during heavy bombing in 1940. After the War they were rebuilt, the previous design and materials being replicated. Symmetrical concave crescent of white rendered cottages. Plain clay tiled roof and tall brick corniced chimneys. Timber doors and metal windows. The central and end properties are two storey and have distinctive shaped gables and sloping dormer windows. The other six cottages are single storey. They are of typical post Arts & Crafts 1930s architectural style. A low limestone boundary wall runs between the rear of the cottages and the beach and around the small dene to the north where fishing boats are still stored. Only one cottage has entirely retained its original form including the original timber casement windows. The others have uPVC windows.Each house has a timber canopy over the door. Many cottages have added roof lights into the rear slopes, one has a single dormer. Conservatories have also been added.
Sunderland City Council, 2007, Whitburn Bents Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy; T. Corfe, 1973, A History of Sunderland; T. Corfe, 1983, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914; G.E. Miller and S.T. Milburn, 1988, Sunderland, River, Town & People; P. O'Brien and P. Gibson, 1997, The Archive Photographs Series: Seaburn and Roker; N. Pevsner, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson); S. Reeder, 1992, Whitburn and Roker in old picture postcards