Tyne and Wear HER(12478): Newbottle Village Conservation Area - Details
Newbottle Village Conservation Area
Designated in 1975. Centred around the heart of the former medieval village (HER 323). The village includes fine 18th and 19th century houses, farmhouses and barns, 19th century terraced miners cottages and 20th century developments. Newbottle was created as a farming village and was owned by the Bishop of Durham. In 1647 the Bishop's lands were seized by Parliament. Bishop Cosin regained ownership at the Restoration. In 1671 the common land around Newbottle was enclosed. During the 18th century Newbottle attracted persons of wealth and became a favoured suburb of Houghton and Sunderland. This was Newbottle's 'golden age' or 'age of elegance'. Stylish new houses were built and older properties were rebuilt. Most of the houses were built on Front Street overlooking the long tapered village green. The fine houses include Mansion House or Newbottle House (HER 7022) now Newbottle Workmen's Club, 20 Front Street (HER 7025), North Farm (HER 7026) and Dial House (HER 7027). Both the latter properties have links with the Wilson family who were important farmers. East Farm (HER 4995) was the home of William Russell, Sunderland merchant and owner of Wallsend Colliery, from 1771 until 1796. In the early 18th century there were 3 potteries in Newbottle (HER 4641, 4642). St. Matthews Church was built in 1850 and rebuilt in 1885-6. Throughout the 19th century there was an increase in industry which changed the character of the village. Rows of miners cottages were built, some with long gardens to the rear (e.g. Garden Street). Many of these terraces were demolished in the later 20th century. Modern developments have generally failed to complement the historic buildings. The historic buildings are mostly of local Magnesian limestone. Some properties are rendered. Boundary walls on North Street and around East Farm are limestone. The miners cottages are built of red colliery brick. Roofs are Welsh slate or clay pantiles. Hedges, original garden walls and railings survive on Front Street. The grounds to the church contain many mature trees. Cellar Hill House (HER 7033) has a leafy garden. Traditional granite kerbstones survive in places on Front Street but much of the stone paving has been replaced with concrete slabs or tarmac.
Sunderland City Council, November 2008, Newbottle Village Conservation Area - Character Appraisal and Management Strategy, Consultation Draft; Borough of Sunderland, 1980, Newbottle Village District Plan Written Statement; G.E. Milburn, 1978, Newbottle: An Outline History; K. Richardson, 1989, Houghton-le-Spring and Hetton-le-Hole in Old Photographs