Tyne and Wear HER(12502): Whitburn, cricket ground - Details
Whitburn, cricket ground
In 1862 Whitburn Cricket Club was established on land formerly part of Whitburn Hall's grounds. The limestone wall on the east boundary rises from 2m to almost 4m in height. Previously ridge and furrow fields, the land was given by Sir Hedworth Williamson, then captain of the club. The pavilion is a modern flat-roofed brick and timber building. The ground is bounded by sycamore trees along the east, west and south sides.
North East Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, 2006, Whitburn Conservation Area Character Appraisal, p 5; Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 106