Tyne and Wear HER(12516): Whitburn, East Street, Barnes Institute - Details
Whitburn, East Street, Barnes Institute
Elegant and smart building dating from 1905. It was given to the village by Mrs Eleanor Barnes, wife of Thomas Barnes. Its foundation stone was laid by Sir Hedworth Williamson. The institute housed dances, concerts, meetings and social events and was home to the village library. It is built in large red bricks with a rendered gable and full height bay window. Its mock half-timbering and steeply pitched roof are Arts & Craft influence. There is a smaller gable above a pair of traditional shopfronts with unusual carved fascias.
North East Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, 2006, Whitburn Conservation Area Character Appraisal, p 5