Tyne and Wear HER(12553): Whitley Bay, radar station - Details
Whitley Bay, radar station
Military Observation Site
Site of a Second World War radar station, recorded by the Defence of Britain project, is visible as structures and earthworks on air photographs. Further associated features are also visible including a a potential searchlight battery, two short sections of trench, weapons pits, a military camp, military roads, military buidings and trackways. It was armed with No.3 Mark V radar in November 1945. It was retained as a Nucleus Force Headquarters Battery in 1946. No surface features are visible on the latest 1988 Ordnance Survey vertical photography. Now a caravan park.
Archaeological Research Services Ltd, 2009, North East Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment; NMR Monument No. 1414464; Vertical Aerial Photograph RAF 58/B/40 5125 18-MAY-1948; Migrated Defence of Britain Project database record originally compiled from various sources; C S Dobinson 1996 Twentieth century fortifications in England, volume 1. Anti-aircraft artillery : England's air defence gunsites, 1914-46, page 480