Tyne and Wear HER(1262): Denton, Roman building-stone - Details
Denton, Roman building-stone
Building-stone, 12 x 8.5 inches. Seen by Stukeley in 1725 in a stable wall. Bruce records it as being in the garden-wall opposite the back-kitchen door at Denton Wood House (now Howlett Hall) nearly half a mile south-west of turret 7b. Presumably it came from the Wall near Denton. Now apparently lost. Inscribed: leg(ionis) / II Aug(ustae) co/h(ors) VIII From the Second Legion Augusta the eighth cohort (built this).
<< HER 1262 >> J.C. Bruce, 1875, Lapidarium Septentrionale, 37 R.G. Collingwood, 1927, Roman Britain in 1927: Inscriptions, Journal Roman studies, XVII, 218 G.R.B. Spain, 1930, Inscribed and Sculptured Stones, Northumberland County History, XIII, 560 no. 4 C.E. Stevens, 1948, The Building of Hadrian's Wall, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XXVI, 39 n. 59 R.G. Collingwood & R.P. Wright, 1965, The Roman Inscriptions of Britain,1360