Tyne and Wear HER(12705): Tynemouth, radar station - Details
Tynemouth, radar station
Military Observation Site
Site of a Second World War heavy anti aircraft battery near Monk House, Tynemouth. It was armed with four 4.5-inch guns with GL Mark II radar in 1942 and with four 3.7-inch Mark VI guns with No.3 Mark VI radar in 1945. It was manned by 176 Battery of the 63rd Royal Artillery Regiment in June 1940, and by 269 Battery of the same Regimant in December 1940. It was retained as an Off-Site Nucleus Force Battery in 1946.
Archaeological Research Services Ltd, 2009, North East Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment; NMR Monument 1465240; RAF 58/C/3 5042 14-APR-1949; RAF 4E/UK681 3421 10-FEB-1941; RAF FNO/98 2056 16-AUG-1942