Tyne and Wear HER(12764): Cleadon, Cleadon Meadows - Details
Cleadon, Cleadon Meadows
Originally built in the early 19th century for Russell Bowlby. Later sold to John Clay who became the first Mayor of South Shields in 1850. Clay commissioned John Dobson to rebuild Cleadon Meadows in 1853. The original L shaped house was demolished. The new house was positioned further back from the road, set within attractive parkland. Three buildings were set to the north of the property- probably stables and a coach house. Demolished in the 1960s. The replacement housing estate has the same name. The garden wall survives (HER 12789) along with the original ball finials from the gateposts (now on modern piers).
South Tyneside Council, 2007, Cleadon Conservation Area Character Appraisal, page 10; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2015, The Cleadon Village Atlas