Tyne and Wear HER(12798): Cleadon, Sunderland Road, Methodist Church - Details
Cleadon, Sunderland Road, Methodist Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Built in 1899. Single storey brick church. Extended at the back. A new simple lych gate has been built by the entrance to the car park. This church replaced a farm cottage at Burdon's farm as the Methodist church for the village. John Burdon preached at the farm from 1780 onwards. In 1807 it became a licensed premises for preaching. The foundation stone for the 1899 church was laid by Dr John Burdon, grandson of the first minster.
South Tyneside Council, 2007, Cleadon Conservation Area Character Appraisal, page 52; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2015, The Cleadon Village Atlas