Tyne and Wear HER(12813): Silksworth, Warden Law Lane, Old School House - Details
Silksworth, Warden Law Lane, Old School House
Built in 1852 by Mr. WR Robinson, owner of Silksworth Hall. Simple stone Church of England school. Pupils attended from nearby Silksworth Colliery and as far afield as East and Middle Herrington. For twenty years the school was also used as a church (shown as Church Chapel of Ease on OS first edition). Now a private house, the old school has undergone a number of sympathetic alterations and features a new boundary wall and railings with an ink pot and quill design, reflecting the building's former use.
Sunderland City Council, November 2009, Silksworth Hall Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy, Consultation Draft, page 23; William Whellan & co, 1856. History, Topography and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham, p 616