Tyne and Wear HER(12828): Byker, Union Road, Bamborough Cinema - Details
Title of image: Bamborough (Bamboro') Cinema, Union Road, Byker
Date: circa 1963
Description: A photograph of the exterior of the Bamborough (Bamboro') Cinema, Union Road, Byker taken c.1963. The cinema was situated at the junction of Union Road, Thornborough Street and Bamborough Street. The Bamborough Cinema opened in 1913 and closed in 1959. It was demolished in 1965.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Theatres Collection
Accession number: NCL 578635
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Byker, Union Road, Bamborough Cinema
Opened in July 1913. At the top of Shields Road, at the junction of Union Road, Thornborough Street and Bamborough Street. It was owned by the Renwick family. The projection room was at stalls level. The circle was reached by stairs on the left hand side of the foyer. There was no ceiling so the roof trusses were visible. The cinema orchestra was highly praised in the trade press. Sound films arrived in January 1930, earlier than some ciry centre cinemas. Around 1933 the cinema was redecorated. The 'Bamboro' closed on 11 April 1959. It remained empty for some years and was demolished in January 1965 after a fire.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, page 34; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 35, 98, 152, 154, 157