Tyne and Wear HER(12831): Byker, Brinkburn Street, No. 14, Brinkburn Picture Theatre - Details
Byker, Brinkburn Street, No. 14, Brinkburn Picture Theatre
The Brinkburn Picture Theatre opened on 28 February 1910. It seated 930 and had 40 standing places. It was owned by James MacHarg. On 27 November 1910 a concert was held here by Newcastle United for the East End Distress Fund. In 1920 the cinema was redecorated in cream and gold. The Apollo (HER 1590) across the road was under the same management. In 1937 the stalls in the Brinkburn were replaced with 646 forms and the cinema redecorated. In the 1940s and early 1950s the Brinkburn was programmed with the Lyric in Heaton. The Brinkburn did well because the Apollo had been bombed-out. The Brinkburn closed in July 1960. It became a warehouse and was later demolished.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, page 38; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 26, 98, 151, 157