Tyne and Wear HER(12834): Denton Burn, Thorntree Drive, Embassy Cinema - Details
Denton Burn, Thorntree Drive, Embassy Cinema
Opened 6 September 1937 as part of a new housing estate. The developers were Messrs. J. W. Longstaff and J. Bain. The architect was Robert Burke. It had 936 seats. The decoration was by Fred A. Foster of Nottingham and the lighting effects by Falk Stadelmann. The Embassy was advertised as 'Newcastle's Premier Suburban Cinema' with 'Trolleybus to door'. The Embassy closed on 25 June 1960. It opened as a bingo club in 1963.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 48-49; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 83-84, 154, 157