Tyne and Wear HER(12844): Throckley, Newburn Road, Lyric Cinema - Details
Title of image: Lyric Cinema, Newburn Road, Throckley
Description: A 1938 photograph of the auditorium of the Lyric Cinema, Newburn Road, Throckley. The photograph has been taken from the proscenium, looking towards the back of the cinema and up to the circle.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Theatres Collection
Accession number: NCL 068806
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Throckley, Newburn Road, Lyric Cinema
The Hinge circuit built the Lyric to designs by Percy L. Browne. It had a 850 seat auditorium with a dance hall and 7 shops. The Lyric opened on 15 May 1935 and the proceeds were donated to the Newburn and District Nursing Association, Newburn Cottage Homes and other local charities. The cineam at ruched curtains which changed colour from orange to green to red before the show started. The Lyric closed in October 1966 and became a bingo hall. It closed in the mid 1970s when permission was refused to convert it into an amusement arcade.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 97-98; George Walton, 1994, Bygone Throckley; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 133-134, 136, 151, 159