Tyne and Wear HER(12846): Newcastle, Groat Market, Nos. 17-19, Royal Cinema (Palladium) - Details
Title of image: Palladium Cinema, Groat Market
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Theatres Collection
Accession number: NCL 068893
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Groat Market, Nos. 17-19, Royal Cinema (Palladium)
Opened 15 June 1908. One of the earliest cinemas in Newcastle. The building had been a shop of wholesale chemists Ismay and Sons. The cinema owners were the Royal Biograph Animated Picture Company. The architect for the conversion was F.M. Dryden. The cinema could seat 1250 people. Variety acts were part of the bill. A raked floor was built in 1911. By 1913 patrons were served afternoon teas. In 1927 the Royal was taken over by Stanley Rogers Cinemas, redecorated and renamed the Palladium. It reopened on June 20. In October 1929 a new projection box was built and sound arrived. During the 1930s the Palladium was part of the Hinge circuit. The cinema closed on 30 September 1939. It was used as a store for provision merchants Walter Willson. Demolition came in April 1963. Thomson House now occupies the site.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 122-123; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 18, 43, 108, 151, 161