Tyne and Wear HER(12849): Newburn, Westmacott Street, Picturedrome and Variety Palace - Details
Newburn, Westmacott Street, Picturedrome and Variety Palace
Opened October 1910. A temporary building in wood and corrugated iron, 58 feet x 48 feet in plan. The foyer and projection box was in a wooden lean-to. There was one toilet behind a curtain to the right of the screen. The owner was Marshall J. Rutter, a house painter from Lemington. Rutter moved to the new Picture Theatre at Lemington in 1911 (HER 12850). The Picturedrome was taken over by Thomas R. Fyall but soon closed.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, page 131; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 37, 130, 131, 160