Tyne and Wear HER(12850): Lemington, Tyne View, Picture Theatre - Details
Lemington, Tyne View, Picture Theatre
Opened on 18 October 1911 by Marshall J. Rutter. In July 1922 the cinema was taken over by John Grantham, then in July 1924 by Thomas Charlton, a local builder and funeral director. Renewal of the licence was refused in March 1927. On 30 March Charlton submitted plans for the reconstruction of the cinema to plans by Cackett and Burns Dick, but it was never built. The Picture Theatre burnt down in 1933. In 1939 air raid shelters were built on its site. There is now a school building on the plot.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, page 132; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 61, 130-131, 132, 160