Tyne and Wear HER(12852): Lemington, Rokeby Street, Prince of Wales Cinema - Details
Lemington, Rokeby Street, Prince of Wales Cinema
Opened 14 July 1924. Designed by architects W.J. Clark of Lemington and E. Jackson of Gateshead. The builders were Straker Bros. of Lemington. The owner was John Grantham. The cinema had a stadium plan with 534 seats in the stalls and 256 in the balcony. There was a small stage with dressing rooms below and an orchestra pit. The cinema was opened by Major J.B. Rowell, chairman of Newburn Urban District Council. Once a year the local Amateur Operatic Society hired the cinema for a stage show. Cinemascope was installed in 1956. The cinema closed around 1960 and became a bingo hall.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 135-136; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 132-133, 160