Tyne and Wear HER(12854): Byker, Commercial Road, Raby Cinema - Details
Byker, Commercial Road, Raby Cinema
Opened in January 1910. A coffin-like shaped building on a triangular plot of land. It seated 823 people. From January 1911 until 1913 the Raby was run by Robert Scott who also ran the Imperial Cinemas at Dunston and Felling. In 1913 James A. Lauder took over. In 1917 it was taken over again by Joseph Broughton and William R. Marshall as the Castle Cinema Company. Sound was installed in 1930. The seats in the stalls were simple wooden forms. The Raby closed on 7 March 1959 and reopened as a bingo hall in 1961. It was demolished in 1989.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 143-144; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 18, 26, 65, 152, 154, 161