Tyne and Wear HER(12855): Walbottle Village Conservation Area - Details
Walbottle Village Conservation Area
Designated in 2009. The CA relates not to the medieval village (HER 1242) but to the 1960s settlement. The 10th Duke of Northumberland gave Newburn Urban District Council the land surrounding the village green in 1958. The gift included 30 houses, 2 chapels, the institute, 3 other buildings and 14 acres of land. The purpose of the gift was to 'maintain the rural character of the village as at present existing'. The village buildings were pictresque but dilapidated. The original boundaries were retained but the old buildings were replaced with Percy Way, The Green, Forge Walk and Bankhead Road. The Duke insisted that the stone from the demolished cottages were used in the rebuild. Two listed buildings, Bog House on the east of the green, and Park View to the south of the school were amongst the demolitions, as was the 'west' Primitive Methodist Chapel. The use of cohesive materials and design create a character worthy of preservation. The CA has been divided into sub areas each with a distinctive character. However the wooden window frames have been replaced by uPVC. Sub area A is The Green, the heart of the historic village. This includes the village institute, Wesleyan Chapel, Segpool House, Walbottle village school, Walbottle Farm, Wood Acre, The Barn, Walbottle Farm House, Bankhead Road, Forge Walk and Percy Way. Sub area B includes the late 19th century Dene Terrace and Bank Top House. Sub Area C, The Waggonway, is an area of green space and the former site of Duke Pit. Sub Area D includes the 20th century bungalows south of Walbottle Bank.
Newcastle City Council, 2009, Walbottle Village Conservation Area Character Statement and Management Plan; G. Walton and A. Watson, 1992, Bygone Walbottle