Tyne and Wear HER(1287): Newburn, Roman building-stone - Details
Newburn, Roman building-stone
Building-stone, 15 x 11 inches, found in 1887 built into the west jamb of the south window of the Pele-tower at Newburn. Near the left margin is an inscribed vexillum (flag carried by a detachment), near the right a standard. In the centre is an eagle. Inscribed: leg(ionis) XX V(aleriae) V(ictricis) / c(o)ho(rtis) IIII/ c(enturia) Lib(urni) Fro(ntonis) / c(enturia) Tere(nti) Mag(ni). (From the Twentieth Legion Valeria Victrix and from the fourth cohort the century of Liburnius Fronto and the century of Terentius Magnis (built this). On the vexillum: leg(io) / XX (Twentieth Legion). The flanking reliefs and the mention of two centuries make the stone exceptional.
<< HER 1287 >> W.T. Watkin, 1888, Archaeological Journal, XLV, 168 J.C. Bruce, 1889, New Roman Inscriptions,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 2, III (for 1887-8), 229 J.C. Bruce, 1889, On an Inscribed Slab found at Newburn, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XIII, 192-96 W.H. Knowles, 1915, 'Newburn Hall' and 'Manor House', Northumberland, Archaeologia Aeliana,3, XII, 189n G.R.B. Spain, 1930, Inscribed and Sculptured Stones, Northumberland County History, XIII, 561 no. 1 C.E. Stevens, 1948, The Building of Hadrian's Wall, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XXVI, 40 n.87 R.G. Collingwood & R.P. Wright, 1965, The Roman Inscriptions of Britain, 2077; A. Croom, 2009, Name and number: the centurial stones of Hadrian's Wall in Arbeia Magazine, No. 39, 2009