Tyne and Wear HER(12873): Scotswood, Bridge Crecent, St. Margaret's Mission Church - Details
Title of image: Bridge Crescent, Scotswood, Newcastle upon Tyne
Date: circa 1900
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Description and Views Collection
Accession number: NCL 023037
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Scotswood, Bridge Crecent, St. Margaret's Mission Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
In March 1926 architect F.M. Dryden submitted plans for the conversion of St. Margaret's Mission Church to a cinema. It had latterly been a Labour Exchange and a Scout Headquarters. It was a corrugated iron building. The interior was 62 feet x 24 feet with a small stage at one end. The walls were of varnished pitch pine - a potential fire hazard. The cinema was licenced for 290 seats and no standing was allowed. The owner was John Richard Scott, who had formed the Scotswood Cinema Co. Ltd. In February 1926 with Thomas Charlton, of the Picture Theatre, Lemington. Free admission could be gained with clean jam-jars, which were sold to a jam factory along Scotswood Road. In May 1938 architect Robert Burke drew up plans for a larger cinema with 536 seats. The Regent opened in December 1938. In 1952 J.R. Scott retired and the cinema was taken over by Carter Crowe, cinema equipment supplier. The Regent closed on 6 July 1957. It became a bingo hall and a rock club. It was demolished in 1964 for the approach roads to the new Scotswood Bridge.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, page 149; Terry Quin, 1991, Bygone Scotswood