Tyne and Wear HER(12876): Benwell, Armstrong Road, Rialto Cinema - Details
Benwell, Armstrong Road, Rialto Cinema
Opened 10 May 1937. It was opened by the Hinge circuit and was similar in design to their Ritz Cinema in Forest Hall. The architects were Percy L. Browne, Son and Harding. The façade of the building was in brick and coloured cement and had a tower and metal canopies. The entrance vestibule contained the paybox, then there was a foyer. The auditorium was decorated in red, beige and gold. There were 1026 seats. The proscenium arch was enhanced with decorative plasterwork. The Rialto closed on 25 June 1961 and became a bingo hall. It was demolished in July 1964 and the site is now occupied by a health centre.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 152-153; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 82-83, 116, 151, 161