Tyne and Wear HER(12891): Heaton, Chillingham Road, Scala Electric Theatre - Details
Title of image: Scala Cinema, Chillingham Road/Tosson Terrace, Heaton
Description: A view of the exterior of the Scala Cinema, Chillingham Road/Tosson Terrace, Heaton taken in 1936.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Theatres Collection
Accession number: NCL 049845
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Heaton, Chillingham Road, Scala Electric Theatre
Opened by Armstrong Electric Theatres Ltd on 10 March 1913. The architect was Percy L. Browne. The Scala had a spacious tiled entrance with marble staircases to the dress circle. There were 1200 seats which were upholstered in red plush. Reseating later reduced the capacity to 986. The organ was a 2-manual Vincent. Throughout the 1920s music was provided by the Scala Orchestra. In 1928 the General Theatres Corporation (later Gaumont-British) took over. Talkies arrived in 1930. In April 1936 Sol Sheckman (Essoldo circuit) took over the Scala. The cinema closed on 1 July 1961. It was demolished and replaced by a supermarket.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 159-160; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 33-35, 60, 66, 97, 150, 152, 161; Heaton History Group, http://heatonhistorygroup.org/tag/peoples-theatre/