Tyne and Wear HER(12892): Byker, Byker Hill, Long Row, Sun Picture Hall - Details
Byker, Byker Hill, Long Row, Sun Picture Hall
The Sun Picture Hall was a converted slipper factory which had been built in 1902 to plans by W. Ellison Fenwick of Elson Square. The factory closed by 1909 and plans were plans for its conversion to a cinema by Gateshead architect W.R. Storey. The lessee and manager was Heaton merchant Carl Albert Aarstad. Seating was for 350. The Sun opened on 29 November 1909. In August 1913 Benjamin Spoor took over the cinema. Occasional variety shows were given right to the end. The Sun never installed sound. It was last licensed on 2 February 1934 and closed later that year. The building was demolished and the site is now occupied by a funeral directors.
Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 169-170; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 20, 24, 36, 66-67, 69, 93, 162